LAC Federal is seeking Translation Support personnel for a major health library in the Washington, DC metro area. This is a long term full time (40 hour a week; Monday to Friday) benefited position.
Other duties may include but not limited to:
- Clerical support requiring familiarity with a variety of foreign languages in support of the Division’s Translation Service, which annually receives more than 700 requests for translations of personal documents, articles, research protocols and clinical records among other things.
- Provides services including Interlibrary Loan work, Acquisitions, Serials check-in, ILS Systems support, Circulation, and Reference support.
- Provides information service, such as answering questions regarding card catalogs, and assists in the use of bibliographic tools, such as library catalogs.
- Performs routine cataloging of library materials.
- Files cards in catalog drawers according to system used.
- Answers routine inquiries, and refers persons requiring professional assistance to Librarian.
- Verifies bibliographic information on order requests.
- Works or directs workers in maintenance of stacks or in section of department or division, such as ordering or receiving section of acquisitions department, card preparation activities in catalog department, or limited loan or reserve desk operation of circulation department.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values diversity in the workforce.
- Associate's Degree from a recognized college or technical institute with 16 credits in library science or computer science
- 3 years relevant library experience
- Must be able to distinguish and identify a variety of foreign languages; Multiple foreign language proficiency/fluency highly preferred
- Has knowledge of library techniques, systems and procedures
- Some knowledge of sources of reference on bibliographical material
- Ability to use and explain the library facilities, including catalogs and other reference aids
- Ability to deal effectively with volunteers and non-professional staff in instructing them in the use of the library
- Ability to present ideas effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with personnel of the institution
LAC Group is a premier provider of recruiting and consultancy services for information professionals at U.S. and global organizations including fortune 100 companies, law firms, pharmaceutical companies, large academic institutions and prominent government agencies.