Main Library Manager
It is an exciting time to be part of the Dayton Metro Library Team! DML is in the process of renovating or replacing all branch facilities and the Main Library thanks to a $187 million bond issue. We are seeking an enthusiastic, collaborative, self-aware, professional leader to take the helm of our 120,000 square foot Main Library. The successful candidate will possess excellent communication, management, and advocacy skills. This leader will have a superb track record of building and sustaining effective teams and leading them through change. We invite you to visit http://www.daytonmetrolibrary.org/facilities and take the virtual tour of our impressive Main Library, which is set to open late spring of 2017.
Essential Job Duties
- Establishes goals and objectives for Main Library which support the Library’s mission.
- Directs all public services of the Main Library, emphasizing a strong customer services importance, such as, but not limited to, information assistance, readers’ advisory, outreach, circulation, interlibrary loan, youth services, local history, Ask Me Line, and programming.
- Hires, supervises, and monitors the development and work of direct reports. Inspires direct reports and encourages innovation. Prepares annual performance appraisals.
- Meets direct reports regularly. Provides and directs the vision for Main Library departments and activities. Ensures the collaboration of Main Library departments.
- Analyzes requests and problems and presents recommendations to Deputy Director. Serves as the primary channel of communication between Director Deputy and Main Library staff.
- Ensures the efficient, effective, customer service oriented delivery of services to Main Library patrons. Maintains a current knowledge of Library operations, policies and procedures.
- Supports Library event planning staff, AV/IT staff and Community Engagement Manager by ensuring innovative and coordinated use of Opportunity Spaces, Eichelberger Forum, Theatre off Third, and Atrium.
- Collaborates with all administrators and managers to ensure smooth operations, coordinated implementation of the strategic vision for DML, and exceptional patron service.
- Develops and maintains rapport with community organizations. Identifies library needs in the community, plans and provides innovative services and programs to meet these needs.
- Oversees the evaluation, development, and maintenance of Main Library’s collections of print, non-print, electronic materials, and information resources.
- Ensures the establishment, preparation, and implementation of the Main Library public services budget.
Compensation and Benefits: Pay range minimum is $71,663 annually with an exceptional benefits package.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee operations and personnel of the assigned locations.
- Thorough knowledge of professional principles, practices, and methods of library science and administration.
- Knowledge of management principles required to coordinate a system-wide function.
- Ability to hire, train, evaluate, motivate and lead staff.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited program. Four to ten years of increasingly responsible experience at a professional level that includes work in branch and extension services with a minimum of three years supervisory experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Evening and Saturday hours are required!
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at: firstname.lastname@example.org.