|LibGig, the recruiting and staffing division of LAC Group, seeks a Research Manager for our client, a large, prestigious law firm’s Los Angeles, CA office. The Research Manager mentors team members, by assisting in more complex research tasks, helping to understand legal topics, and encouraging participation in professional and legal educational opportunities. The Research Manager will oversee and handle more involved or time-sensitive research requests, as well as manage the team for specific projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for day to day management of local Research Team; assigning of requests; consulting on more complex requests; mentoring team members for growth and development of research skills, legal and other topical knowledge.
- Ensure standards and best practices are understood and implemented by Research Team to provide consistent, high-level research results and analysis to the firm’s attorneys, staff and clients.
- Provide extensive legal, business, other specialized and general research and analysis assistance to patrons when needed.
- Supervise, train and evaluate direct reports.
- Serve as practice, subject and/or industry research specialist in areas aligned with the firm’s practice and business;
- Provide training on research strategies and resources as requested; develop, plan, coordinate and deliver presentations to assigned practice groups, on recent developments, current awareness and research tools and other topics; conduct library orientations for attorneys, paralegals, and other firm staff; participate in planning and presentation of educational sessions for attorneys, firm staff and internal department staff
- Participate in collection development including new databases, websites and print material; prepare resource review report as assigned: coordinate user surveys, analyze usage, compare resource with other firm resources and competing products to make informed recommendations for renewal or cancellation.
- Prepare and coordinate creation of instructional and marketing materials, including research guides and competitive intelligence dossiers.
- Keep up to date on industry current trends and best practices.
- Work on special projects and any other duties as assigned.
- MLS from an ALA accredited university;
- Minimum 5-year experience in a law library, concentrating on research and reference services or equivalent combination of education and experience;
Other Skills and Abilities:
- JD from an ABA accredited law school or other advanced degree.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience as a practicing attorney.
- Strong technical skills, including familiarity with SharePoint, MS Office, social media, graphic editors, and other related technology tools.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values diversity in the workforce.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills
- The ability to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- The ability to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- The ability to work under pressure
- The ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
LAC Group is a premier provider of recruiting and consultancy services for information professionals at U.S. and global organizations including fortune 100 companies, law firms, pharmaceutical companies, large academic institutions and prominent government agencies.