|LibGig, a LAC Group company, seeks a part-time, temporary Cataloger for a library located in Westport, CT. This role will work approximately 20 hours per week for a duration of 3 months, that could possibly get extended longer. The temporary cataloger will perform both original and complex cataloging and classifying of print and non-print library materials and work to ensure the integrity of existing data. This is an excellent position for an experienced cataloger looking for a flexible schedule in an excellent library environment.
- Maintain computer catalog by editing, adding MARC bibliographic records;
- Assign subject headings and cross references;
- Respond to cataloging-related inquiries or problems from library staff;
- Classify and verify a wide variety of library materials;
- Modify and create records for library materials by verifying and assigning Dewey Decimal Classification system call numbers and selecting subject headings;
- Modify cataloging descriptions based upon established procedures and regulations;
- Troubleshoot problems in editing of MARC records;
- Perform related work as required.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values diversity in the workforce.
- Bachelor’s Degree which includes courses in library classification and cataloging;
- Five years’ experience in a public library setting preferred. A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
- Considerable understanding of library cataloging and classification systems; considerable knowledge of computerized cataloging databases; considerable knowledge of the procedures, practices, and equipment of a public library; considerable knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other school employees.
LAC Group is a premier provider of recruiting and consultancy services for information professionals at U.S. and global organizations including Fortune 100 companies, law firms, pharmaceutical companies, large academic institutions, National Libraries and prominent government agencies.