Austin Public Library
Austin Public Library
SALARY: $23.44 - $29.80
FULL-TIME: Hours will vary but will include periodic nights and weekend days.
DUTIES, FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Explains policies and procedures to public, staff, and client public libraries. Interprets state and federal library laws and rules to citizen advocacy groups and governing bodies.
- Investigates and resolves complaints involving staff and public.
- Contributes to preparation and monitoring of division budget. Prepares grant applications for the division or for client public libraries.
- Compiles bibliographies, reference guides, newsletter articles, statistics and written reports and other materials for the library patrons.
- Processes new and incoming books and assesses collections on a regular basis to ensure a proper collection.
- Serves on division’s management team and on library-wide committees and task forces.
- Engages in long and short-range planning for the work unit or for client public libraries.
- Provides direct reference service to the public or to the management and staff of public library clients.
- Researches, appraises, selects and orders materials for assigned section(s) of the library collection or professional library collection of the work unit.
- Appraises, organizes and processes special archival collections. Provides basic conservation of archival materials.
- Researches, appraises, selects and orders materials for assigned collection (2) of the library collection or professional library collection of the work unit.
- Conducts meetings, training sessions and public programs. Manages outreach and promotions for library system for branch.
- Manages outreach and promotion for library system or branch.
- Trains and consults with client library staff on collection development public library management, specialized services to library users, and utilization of electronic resources.
- Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling and recommendation for dismissal.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of public library issues and trends.
- Knowledge of reference tools and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in the use of computers and related software.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to stay current archival issues and trends.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public
- Knowledge of customer service principles and experience providing effective customer service.
- Strong proficiency and interest in current and emerging technologies as applicable to public libraries.
- Experience teaching/training customers and staff individually and in classroom settings.
- Knowledge of collection development and experience performing collection development tasks.
- Experience planning/delivering public programs and conducting outreach.
- Experience in leading others and/or
- Supervising the work of others.
- Proficient in Spanish and/or American Sign Language.
- Familiarity in financial reporting, records management, and staff scheduling using web-based tools and software platforms.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Master of Library Science from an ALA accredited university plus three (3) years as a professional librarian, one (1) of which was in a lead/supervisory capacity.
- May require a valid driver operator’s license.
- May require the use of a personal vehicle.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, walk and reach to heights of up to six (6) feet.
- Must be able to pull or lift up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be able to push loaded book truck weighing up to three hundred (300) pounds.
- Must have manual dexterity to operate computer keyboard.
TO APPLY VISIT: http://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/57844
JOB OPEN: 01/31/2017
JOB CLOSE: 03/10/2017
Company Website: http://library.austintexas.gov/