Public Services Librarian
Maine Maritime Academy (MMA), a public, fully accredited college located in the quintessentially New England coastal village of Castine, Maine, has an opening for a Public Services Librarian. Reporting to the Head Librarian, the Public Services Librarian for Nutting Memorial Library has overall responsibility for the library’s public services operations including circulation, interlibrary loan, document delivery, and course reserves, as well as the development, delivery, and assessment of undergraduate information literacy instruction. This position also coordinates the hiring, training, and scheduling of the library’s student workers. The Public Services Librarian is responsible for developing and encouraging a positive, engaging, and user-centered approach to customer service and library outreach, and must be able to work collaboratively with library colleagues as well as Academy faculty and staff. This is a full-time, 12-month staff position with benefits.
- Oversee public services area within a small academic library, including circulation, interlibrary loan, document delivery, and reserve desk operations.
- Provide in-person and remote reference services to the Academy community.
- Design, deliver and assess undergraduate information literacy instruction sessions.
- Oversee the hiring, training and scheduling of the library’s student workers.
- Handle routing of submitted service tickets to the appropriate library staff member(s).
- Maintain library website and assist with management of library’s social media presence.
- Bill library patrons for lost or non-returned materials; determine and communicate circulation policies and procedures under the guidance of the Head Librarian.
- Assist with library outreach, including promotion, event planning, and collaboration with other campus entities.
- Assist with collection development and deselection projects as assigned.
- May serve on Academy committees as required.
- May supervise student and/or regular Academy employees.
- Compile annual statistics & reports related to above areas of responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and collective bargaining agreements.
- Outstanding interpersonal and customer service skills including a professional, positive, and approachable demeanor
- Ability to successfully ascertain and support the diverse learning goals of Academy students
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent research skills and familiarity with a wide range of information resources
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff and to work closely and congenially with departments across campus
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and to handle multiple competing projects
- Familiarity with integrated library system software (familiarity with Innovative Interfaces products preferred)
- Marketing, public relations, and/or graphic design skills preferred
- ALA-accredited Master's in Library Science or the equivalent (conferred by date of hire)
- Demonstrated commitment to providing outstanding customer service
- Knowledge and experience with relevant reference databases and resources
- Demonstrated high level of comfort and proficiency with technology
- Familiarity with best practices, trends, and assessment strategies related to information literacy instruction
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Demonstrated commitment to and/or clearly articulated philosophy on the role of library services in fostering student success
- Previous work experience in an academic library
- Previous teaching experience strongly preferred
- Experience with library marketing, outreach and/or advocacy preferred
- Academic interest or work experience in any of the following areas preferred: marine/ocean science, engineering, marine transportation, or international business & logistics
HOW TO APPLY
- Contacts include students, parents, alumni, and various external and internal constituencies;
- Will work occasional nights and weekends to support department and related College events;
- Frequent use of keyboard and computer screen;
- Occasionally lift and move up to 30-50 pounds.
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, résumé, a completed MMA Application Form, copies of applicable professional certifications, transcripts and/or licenses, and contact information for at least three professional references.
In the subject line of your email, please write the full title of the position you are applying for and your name. For all faculty appointments, official college transcripts must be received prior to a formal offer being made for employment. All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation. Individuals cruising onboard our ships are also required to undergo a pre-employment drug-screening.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
The Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, sex, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, genetic information, or physical or mental disabilities. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request.
Women, minorities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Company Website: http://mainemaritime.edu/employment-at-mma/