Head, Resource Management
The New York University Libraries seek a collaborative and knowledgeable professional to serve as the Head of Resource Management, to lead a service-oriented department in the acquisition of research resources in all formats and oversee the quality control, upload, and maintenance of associated metadata. The successful candidate will combine demonstrated acquisitions, technical services and management experience with knowledge of standards and practices for the acquiring, processing, and cataloging of resources in all formats in an academic library setting.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Knowledge Access and Resource Management Services (KARMS), the Head of Resource Management is a key senior managerial position within KARMS. The position provides leadership, vision, strategic direction, and expertise for a staff of 6 FTE professionals and 20 FTE paraprofessionals responsible for the acquisition of library resources, fiscal control of collections budgets, delivery management and ingest of associated metadata, and systems administration of primary resource data stores. The incumbent will closely collaborate with colleagues across the Division of Libraries, especially colleagues in the Knowledge Access Design and Development, Metadata Production and Management, and Collection and Research Services departments. Librarians are expected to serve as partners in the educational mission of NYU by establishing strong relationships with faculty and students, and providing responsive and innovative information services.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Dean for Knowledge Access and Resource Management Services, the incumbent shall:
Work with the Resource Management supervisors and staff to nurture a culture of innovation, experimentation, and assessment
Identify and apply best-practices in:
Collections curated, managed, and preserved by the NYU Libraries include in round numbers 5 million book volumes (of which 1.1 million are electronic), 270,000 serial titles (of which 120,000 are electronic), and 43,000 linear feet of archival materials. As NYU Libraries devote more resources to acquiring specialized and unique materials while maintaining core collection strengths, the Head of Resource Management will play a key role in maintaining a library acquisition and licensing environment that encompasses a broad range of resources, collections, and metadata. To that end, the Libraries currently deploy the Ex Libris Aleph integrated library system, the Ex Libris SFX OpenURL link resolver, and Primo discovery interface.
- Acquisition of library resources and associated metadata
- Implementation of ordering, receipt, payment, and reporting workflows
- Design and management of library resource data stores, including those for library acquisitions, serial holdings, electronic resource access, metadata delivery, and collections budgets and related financial transactions
- Creation and modification of resource management data and bibliographic records using recognized standards
- Application of workflow automation particularly as it relates to batch ingest of MARC formatted metadata
- Demonstrate superior management ability by encouraging accountability, fostering collaboration, and providing timely feedback
- Collaborate with other members of the KARMS management team in the ongoing improvement of KARMS automated and manual processes to meet institutional goals and improve service to users
- Lead library initiatives and projects that have a resource management emphasis, and contribute resource management expertise to NYU campus partner initiatives
- Serve on relevant library standing committees and teams, including the Department Managers Group, E-Access Steering Committee, and the materials budget oversight team
- Engage in professional activities, especially those related to all modes of research resource acquisition, as well as the implementation and management of related processes and data stores
New York University Libraries: Libraries at New York University serve the school’s 40,000 students and faculty and contain more than 5 million volumes. The Libraries supports NYU’s vision to become the first true Global Network University by collaborating with and providing services to our 11 global academic centers and our “portal campuses” in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai. New York University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the OCLC Research Library Partnership, and the HathiTrust. The Libraries participate in a variety of consortia and collaborate closely with Columbia University Libraries and the New York Public Library through the Manhattan Research Library Consortium. View NYU Libraries Mission and Strategic Plan.
- Evidence of leadership in the acquisition of purchased and licensed scholarly resources
- Successful experience in resource management processes in an academic/research library, including evidence of successful, innovative management of staff and operations
- Operational knowledge of methods and systems for managing materials budgets and related financial transactions, serial holdings, and electronic resource license and access information
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends and issues in the acquisition of library resources coupled with a strong service orientation and knowledge of user needs; excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Minimum one graduate degree (master’s level or higher) for consideration. A second graduate degree will be required for tenure review. One of the two graduate degrees must be an ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent.
- Familiarity with knowledge base applications for electronic resource management and access, experience with data analytics and business intelligence related to library acquisitions, including use of data analysis and visualization tools.
- Faculty status, attractive benefits package including five weeks annual vacation. Salary commensurate with experience and background.
To ensure consideration, submit your CV and letter of application, including the name, address, and telephone number of three references to: https://apply.interfolio.com/39707. CVs will be considered until the position is filled.
NYU’s Division of Libraries embraces diversity and is committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Company Website: https://library.nyu.edu